The Tulsa SPCA has minimum requirements for our volunteer program to ensure all volunteers are the right fit for our organization, and to ensure we are providing the best volunteer experience possible.
- Volunteers must have valid health insurance coverage and provide a copy of proof of insurance before beginning volunteer work.
- Pets Are Love (PAL) program volunteers must also provide proof of homeowner’s insurance that cover’s their pets.
- Volunteers must be able to make a time commitment of at least 4 hours per month, for a minimum of 6 months (with the exception of dog and cat socializer positions).
- Volunteers must be at least 9 years of age. Volunteers 9-15 must have a parent or guardian with them at all times while volunteering. Volunteers 16-17 may volunteer on their own after a parent or guardian has attended orientation and all necessary training with them.
- Volunteers must complete (and have the ability to pass) background screening (18 and up only).
- Volunteers must have a good attitude, and a desire to positively impact the lives of dogs and cats within our community!
Orientation and training
We strive to provide a well-rounded training program to ensure our volunteers feel safe and adequately prepared for their work with us and our animals.
- All volunteers are required to attend basic orientation (held twice a month) and any training related to the job they wish to perform.
- Volunteers can expect to spend 3-8 hours in training when beginning their volunteer work (depending on their respective volunteer job.)
- Training is typically held on Saturdays and weekends.
How to become a volunteer
- Submit an online application
- You will receive an email from the volunteer manager within 3 business days containing information on the orientation/training schedule.
- Sign up for a basic orientation.
- Complete any additional training necessary for volunteer job(s) that you are interested in.
- Begin signing up for shifts and gain a wonderful experience helping Tulsa pets in need!