PET CARE SPECIALIST – FULL TIME
Include but are not limited to: cleaning, feeding, watering, medicating, assessing behaviors, training and socializing, and care of all animals (dogs and cats) assigned. Daily cleaning and disinfecting of: cages, runs, kennels, yards, cat colony room, and general cleaning duties associated with the Tulsa SPCA facility. Must demonstrate excellent customer service skills at all times to the public, their pets and pets in waiting. Must be polite and professional, knowledgeable about animals in the facility, and be available when called upon to show animals to the public. Any other job related duties and responsibilities relating to the management and well being of the shelter animals as assigned.
This job classification has been designated as a safety sensitive job classification in accordance with the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana and Patient Protection Act, 63 O.S., § 427.1 et seq., (OSCN 2019), effective August 29, 2019. This means employees in this job classification can be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination if they test positive for marijuana components or metabolites, even if they possess a medical marijuana license.
- Maintain the highest standard of customer service.
- Maintain a professional manner at all times, being compassionate and respectful to clients
- Assist with the operation of the shelter
- Maintain the cleanliness and orderliness of the shelter
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES
- Daily cleaning, feeding and watering of all shelter animals (dogs and cats)
- Assist with adoptions
- Initiate conversation with potential adopter to assess home life and lifestyle
- Properly show animals to public, keeping the safety of everyone including the animal in mind
- Exhibit good customer service to all members of the public
- Answer questions about feeding, walking, animal behavior, veterinary needs
- Follow instructions and guidelines given by Pet Care Manager and Trainer to give all animals in our care quality enrichment and training
- Daily Shelter Cleaning
- Includes kennels, cat colony rooms, breakrooms, laundry, bedding, crates, carriers, toys, yard
- Follow proper cleaning procedures including appropriate steps and ratio of cleaning products
- Welfare of Shelter Animals
- Monitor animals to ensure that the Five Freedoms are being met at all times
- Bring any concerns about an animal to supervisor
- Transporting Animals
- Includes moving animals on our campus as well as potentially transporting animals via vehicle to adoption events, school visits, meetings, transfer to other agencies, etc.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Customer service skills — Ability to work with staff, adopters, and foster parents
- Strong attention to detail and task orientation.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- High School or GED required
- General knowledge of animal welfare helpful.
- Must possess a valid and current Oklahoma Driver’s License and have the ability to drive
- Excellent oral and written communication skills a must
- Team oriented
- Knowledge of basic computer skills preferred
- Repetitive bending, stooping, standing, kneeling and similar movements required for purposes of cleaning, lifting of supplies/animals.
- Must be able to physically restrain dogs weighing 50lbs +
- Noise levels in kennel areas vary.
FT position. Schedule can vary, shift changes will be necessary sometimes as will work on holidays and some overtime.
Resumes can be emailed to email@example.com.